Sunday, March 15, 2015

Fear...A Monster

 

   Fear. Fear. Fear. We all have a fear monster in our lives, some more than others. Some of us have more fear than other people do, while others can laugh in the face of fear. Fear has many faces. Fear can cause us to become delusional with things that may or won’t ever happen. Fear causes us to shrink back into our shells and not venture outside of the box. Fear for me has been for a very long time is to quit smoking. That scares the living day-light out of me. The reason that I started smoking was to be like someone else. To be like this person meant that I would do whatever it took to be like them. Smoking included...what a foolish decision that was! That was almost 20 years ago. Smoking is such a hinderance in so many areas and I really believe that the reason that I can’t seem to kick it is because of the delusion that I won’t be the same person that I am now if I don’t have cigarettes. Fear. A monster that creeps in when we are the most vulnerable or least suspecting of it. Fear. A rotten emotion or association that our minds come up with because our minds live in the past and search for ways to connect the past with the future. Our minds are not connected to the present moment, which I believe is why it is so hard to kick an addiction that takes place in the present moment. FEAR has been known as
False                                                                                Face
Evidence                                         -or-                           Everything
Appearing                                                                         And
Real                                                                                 Rise

I think however for most of us (I know for me), facing everything and rising can often be the hardest choice to make because our minds have a way of talking us out of it. Our minds have a way of telling us that there is no way that we could be any good without said fear. There is no where to turn except back to the fear. And often, it seems that the more we fear something, the more afraid we become. We become afraid of things that normally wouldn’t make us fearful, however we have held onto the fear monster so long that we (in our minds) start to doubt the things that we have trusted and never feared out of some small pretense that fear of something has given us. Fear has no place in our lives, yet it is so hard to get rid of. Fear of danger is something totally different than irrational fear that we come up with to satisfy our minds. Fear is largely based in the unknown, the unknown factor I think is what keeps most of us from achieving the things that we really want to achieve. Fear. Fear. Fear. I know that I will overcome this fear of quitting smoking, it just seems to be an interesting factor in my life at this time that is a HUGE hurdle for me, and I know that there are others that can connect with that hurdle with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment